SPECIAL INFORMATION REGARDING TRAVELING TO KAUAI AND YOUR PURE KAUAI EXPERIENCE
Aloha! We at Pure Kauai hope you are all excited and looking forward to your trip to Kauai. Below are some important notes, links, and information regarding our island and Pure Kauai procedures:
EFFECTIVE 11:59 PM 3/25/2022
- The Hawaii Safe Travels Program has been dropped. This means that there are no vaccination or testing requirements required when flying in to Hawaii from the Mainland US. There are no vaccination or testing requirements in place when traveling inter-island, or to enter businesses. Some International Travel rules and restrictions may remain in place. Please contact your airline if you have questions.
- Indoor Mask Mandates have been dropped. However, government officials have stated: "You will still have to wear masks in certain places. That includes on/in public transportation, airports, public schools, and other locations. Private businesses are also within their rights to require masks."
Hanalei Access - Since the March 11, 2021 landslide on the hillside between Princeville and Hanalei, the hillside has had extensive reconstruction work. Phase I of the work has been completed, and 2 lanes of traffic are moving freely in this area. Phase II of work on the hillside is expected to start sometime in 2022, but that date has not yet been confirmed.
Haena Beach Park / Ke'e / Kalalau Trail Access - The ONLY WAY for visitors to go to Haena Beach Park or Kalalau Trail is to purchase reservation. This is required for anyone without valid Hawaii ID - please note they check ID of anyone in a car, and are denying access to anyone without either valid ID or a reservation. The reservations are only available on the https://www.gohaena.com/ site. The reservation sale process is like buying concert tickets - they only sell reservations 1 week in advance, and they go on sale at 12 am midnight, HST. Typically they are sold out within an hour. Drop offs are NOT allowed without a reservation. The North Shore Shuttle is not running since Covid closure in March, 2020.
Activities and Services, Rental Cars and Delivery:
- While Pure Kauai continues to offer full concierge service for our guests, please be aware that as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, MANY activity providers are running on reduced/limited/adjusted schedules, and some services are not available at this time. Please reach out to your host directly to get a current list of what is available. Also please note that for any in-home services, masks are required by law, and some vendors may ask for proof of negative test results prior to performing work in the home. Pure Kauai is not responsible for any guest or vendor exposure as a result of activities or services.
- The rental car companies must scan your "approved" QR code at the time of rental car pickup. Additionally, due to the increased security surrounding quarantine and the rental car process, the rental car companies ARE NO LONGER OFFERING CAR DELIVERY TO HOMES. If you are flying private, the rental companies should be able to deliver vehicles to the FBO. Please speak with your Pure Kauai host for additional details.
Updated Arrival procedure and Cleaning Procedures at our properties:
- Although it has always been Pure Kauai's standard procedure to greet all incoming guests at the property, in an effort to minimize exposure and potential spread of the Covid-19 virus, hosts WILL NOT be greeting guests in person. Hosts will work with property managers prior to arrival to prep the house, deliver any pre-arrival items, as well as have things all opened up and ready for guest arrival.
- Concierge services have always been, and continue to be a cornerstone of the Pure Kauai host position. Pending availability, I am happy to make any and all arrangements you may need during your time here. This can include, but is not limited to: pre-arrival grocery stocking at the house, personal assistant work, private chef services, surf lessons and board rentals, horseback riding, small boat tours, yoga and personal training, restaurant reservations, and more. Please be aware that as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, most tour operators are running on a limited/reduced schedule and only offering private experiences. Some activities and services may not be available at this time. Please let me know if you have interest in reserving activities and services and I can provide you a best list of what is available.
- Don't forget that Kauai has 91 beaches and over 113 miles of coast line, most of which are open to the public. Explore and enjoy! Because our island has fared very well during the pandemic, partly due to being closed off from outside visitors, we have maintained strict social distancing standards, as well as enforced wearing masks when in any shops/restaurants, as well as when in any busy public spaces. Here in Hawaii, the new standard greeting is called Shakas Not Shakes 🤙🏼 (or a hand wave works too!). We ask that you please help us keep our island and community safe and open by following these guidelines.
- You can find all of the most recent visitor information at: https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements or https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/kauai
Trip Preparation and FAQs
Aloha from Pure Kauai!
We are pleased to be a part of your Kauai vacation! We want your stay to be as memorable and relaxing as it possibly can be. We hope this FAQ will answer some of your questions, to help you better your stay. In addition, please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions or comments. We are very much looking forward to having you as our guest!
Where do I have items sent to via mail?
None of our houses accept mail or packages. All items should be mailed to the Pure Kauai office as addressed below. Your host will deliver them to the house once they arrive.
c/o YOUR NAME and House Name
Attn: (host/concierge name)
5118 iolani place
Princeville, HI 96722
What are the standard check in and check out times?
All of our properties include a 3pm Check In and 10 am Check Out. We do try and accommodate an early check in or later check out requests, if possible. Most properties offer later check outs for an additional half-day rate, in order to accommodate guests with an evening departure. Please note, that this service needs to be setup prior to arrival. If you would like to set this up, please contact your Island Host
What are check out procedures?
Check out at your home is 10 am. Typically, housekeepers show up promptly at 10 am on check out day. In the event that you need a little extra time, we will do our best to accommodate, if the home is available. If you have an evening flight and would like an evening check out, that is available for 1/2 day rate plus tax for a check out up until 6 pm. Most homes ask that you lock up, shut all doors and windows and leave the key in the lockbox if there is one. Checks out procedures are typically printed in your house manual found inside the home.
Who do I call with house related issues once I am on the island?
All of our homes are appointed with a property manager. This person is responsible for any house questions or property emergencies. Your host will provide you with their name and contact number. This information will also be provided on both your itinerary and in the house manual.
Is the water safe to drink?
Yes. The tap water on Kauai is tested regularly on a monthly basis and is way above the national standard. We encourage people to do their part in reducing plastic waste by drinking the local water vs. bottled water.
What does my Island Host/Personal Concierge do?
Your Island Host/Personal Concierge is there to assist you in setting up any services or activities before and during your stay here on the Island. They will welcome you at your accommodations while answering any basic house questions. It is recommended that you set up any activities prior to coming to the Island. However, your Island Host can also set up activities while you are here. Your Island Host will also ensure that your vacation itinerary runs flawlessly by checking in with you throughout your stay.
What is the advantage of using the concierge service?
Over the years we have determined which companies are the safest, offer the best experience, and are the most recommended. Essentially, we do all the legwork and book your activities/services so you don't have to. There is no added fee for this service; it's the same price as if you booked these items directly. We simply want to make your vacation as easy and enjoyable as possible.
When is payment collected for the Activity and Service Portion?
A Service Invoice Estimate will be sent to you before your stay. This will include a breakdown of costs, for your scheduled activities/services. Payment will be collected prior to your arrival, to confirm your scheduled activities/services.
Should you add/change or delete any services while on the island, we send your Final Service Invoice within 30 days of departure.
What are the cancellation policies for activities and services?
- 72 hour cancellation policy for activities and services
- 1 week for cancellation policy for private chef services
- During the holidays, activities are still 72 hours (unless the vendor's policy says otherwise) and chefs have a 30 day cancellation policy (30 days from first scheduled meal)
- Please note that "private" tours and activities will have a more stringent cancellation policy.
- It is detailed in writing in your rental contract as well. Feel free to contact your Island Host for additional questions regarding the Activity and Services Cancellation Policy. All outdoor activities here will go out rain or shine.
Do I TIP?
Gratuities are a personal preference. They are appreciated by all of our service providers. We do recommend bringing cash for the Activity Vendors and Group Tours. You may also leave a cash tip for your service provider at the time of service. We can also add gratuity for services "in house" on your Final Invoice upon check out.
When can I expect my security deposit to be refunded?
Your security deposit will be returned to you via check within 2-4 weeks of your departure, less any property damages (if occurred). Please note that exceeding the maximum number of guests allowed at the property can result in total loss of your entire security deposit.
What do I need to bring on my vacation?
Our homes are stocked with everything needed for a comfortable vacation stay. Most properties include the basic house amenities: beach towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, kitchen supplies, a hairdryer, an iron, etc. Feel free to contact your Island Host for any other accommodation amenities.
What is the weather like?
We are located in one of the most beautiful spots on earth with very comfortable weather and light trade winds. Because of our location we do get daily rain, keeping our waterfalls plentiful. In general, always plan on sun with passing showers, with the majority of our rains in the early mornings and evenings. Weather reports are very rarely accurate here, so always best to bring a light rain jacket or windbreaker for most outdoor activities, in the event of rain. Like anywhere else, Kauai does get the occasional storm that can pass through. In the event of a storm, this usually just means more rain than usual.
What time zone is Hawaii in?
We are in the Hawaiian and Aleutian time zone and we do not observe daylight savings time.
Hawaii is known for its trade winds. Many homes on Kauai have been designed for "open airflow" using screened windows and screened sliding doors, and DO NOT have air conditioning. Please be sure and confirm when making your reservation whether the home you have chosen does or does NOT have air conditioning. Depending on the season, or even the day, temperatures typically range between 74 to 84 for the highs, and 60 to 74 for the lows, year-round. Refunds or discounts ARE NOT given for lack of Air Conditioning in a property.
WiFi, Electric and Water
All Pure Kauai homes include utility services which include WiFi internet service, Electric Service, and Water Service. Please understand that our small island does occasionally experience hiccups in these services. While we at Pure Kauai, as well as the affiliated utility services strive to remedy any outages as quickly as possible. These services can be affected by any number of elements, including inclement weather, floods, system upgrades or repairs, etc. In general, Verizon and ATT cell phones have the best coverage here on Kauai.